BRANCH 255 WINDSOR
"We strive to make a difference in the lives of Veterans and to support our Community".
Copyright © 2021 Riverside Legion Branch 255 I All Rights Reserved.
ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION - ZONE A-1 Branch 255
has been a part of the Windsor community for over 80 years, first opening it's doors in 1934.
The Royal Canadian Legion is Canada’s largest Veteran support and community service organization. The Royal Canadian Legion cares for all those who have served our nation. As members, we show our thanks by supporting and advocating for Veterans, by remembering their sacrifices, and by continuing the tradition of service in helping our communities.
Colonel E.S. Wigle Branch 255, was founded in 1934. The present building was opened on June 30th, 1939 and has had several additions put on during it’s long history. The idea of the Riverside Legion first originated in the 1930's when, Captain B.J. Dunlevy realized the necessity of maintaining the comradeship formed by the men who served in the First World War while looking after their welfare. With this in mind he called a meeting at the Riverside Town Hall in 1934 and invited all veterans of the Great War to attend this meeting.
After some discussion it was decided to call this newly formed association the Riverside War Veterans Association and later it was agreed to affiliate with the Empire-wide organization, forming a new branch of the Canadian Legion.
It is interesting to note that while the headquarters were temporarily at the Riverside Town Hall, some of the meetings were held in the homes of the various members of the newly formed branch.
In 1935, the Legion moved to it's own home, the former residence of Mr William Furlong on Riverside Drive.
The branch continued it's slow but healthy progress, moving to the St. Clair Hotel on the shores of the Detroit River. By 1936, the Branch felt the need for club rooms and the headquarters were moved to 1533 Ottawa Street (Wyandotte St. today) where it maintained for the next two and one half years.
Building lots were purchased in 1937, between Villaire and St. Louis Avenues , and plans were drawn-up for the erection of the building we know today. Through the years, the Riverside Legion Br 255, has participated in all local patriotic events and has supported many youth athletic leagues.
THIS IS ALWAYS WORTH REPEATING!!!
We pride ourselves on being the friendliest, hippest , finest most
welcoming legion in the city. It is very important we treat every
single person, every veteran ,every member and every customer who
walks through our doors with respect, good will and good cheer.
Let's keep people coming in and welcome them with a big smile and
a friendly hello. Like cheers , let's be the Riverside neighborhood
Legion where everybody is welcome and everybody knows your name.